Friday, January 23, 2009

It's Time to Put Away Childish Things

Our new president took that line from 1 Corinthians 13:11. And just as it applies to America collectively, it very much applies to me as an individual. It's time I stop assuming everything will work out if I just put in minimal effort. I don't deserve anything to happen to me; I must earn it. At Harvard, the sense of entitlement can be almost overbearing, and not just from the privileged. I have been guilty too many times of thinking, childishly, that it is almost a right to get a good grade, an internship, a good job. But it isn't a right. And I've realized that my procrastination won't end until I change how I my outlook on life, until I truly understand that not only success, but survival as well, requires a lot of effort and perseverance. I have to make sacrifices. I have to take responsibility.

No comments: