Monday, January 19, 2009

I'm Not Who You Think I Am

To all my friends, I lie to protect myself and to protect you. I'm not proud of it, but I doubt the truth would make things better. Morality rarely reasons in black and white; there are infinite shades of gray. The Christian idea of God, my idea of God, deals in absolutes, but humanity never does. Those few women and men who try are outcasts or failed presidents. What can I do but seek forgiveness from those my lies inadvertently hurt and try to make better decisions that require less lying. But I doubt I will be a perfectly honest person 100% of the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think any of us are as open as we might pretend to be. There's always that layer of complication under what may seem to be a straight forward person. I like to think that how we were raised forms a huge part of what lies there: religious upbringing, divorces/stable family life, having brothers and sisters, relationship with parents, etc. It's amazing if you choose to show that to people, but understandable if you don't. As long as you're comfortable with who you are.

On the other hand, if your friends are as great as you believe, then sharing that shouldn't be as tough as it sounds.

Here comes the cliche:

It's all about love and respect.

If it stops being about that, then maybe you should rethink your stance on things.

It's good to see that there's a lot more to you beneath the surface. That third dimension gives me some perspective.

keep your head up!