Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Third Time's the Charm, Right?

To become fluent in Spanish, that is. Starting my second week in Buenos Aires, which would make this my third summer in a row a Spanish-speaking country. What to report? I'm the oldest person in the DRCLAS group. Unsurprising for a "super-senior". What is surprising is that I should actually feel it. Not to belittle the amazing sophomores whom I've met, liked, and befriended, but hanging out with them sometimes makes me feel old. Perhaps it's because this is my 3rd international experience, and for many, this is only their first. And I'm also a little jealous of them; they have so much to do with their Harvard experience. I hope they take full advantage of it!

My host family is the absolute best I could've wished for: so nice and welcoming, yet also flexible and able to give me the distance a 22-year-old needs. And they both are great cooks!

And that leaves my internship. It just began today, but it wasn't exactly an auspicious start. I was in the office for an entire hour, where they showed me around, told me I'd be working in an entirely different part of the organization (institutional development) than what they had told me last week, and then gave me some reading material and saw me out the door. I also go in for only 4 days a week, 4 hours each day. Good thing I'm not relying on a paycheck for them, but I don't know what I'm going to do with all this free time. I also hope I do get something meaningful out of this, not just for my resume, but on a personal level as well.

Cautiously optimistic.
Ciao.

ps. I still need a place to stay in Cambridge (as close to Harvard as possible) for the month of August. A comfy piece of floor will do. Let me know :)

No comments: