Monday, November 10, 2008

Life Goes On

The election is over and the inauguration of Barack Obama as the 44th President of the United States cannot arrive soon enough. But still, life goes on. Personally, I'm trying to re-focus on schoolwork. It's a little difficult after the rush of excitement that was election day. Instead, I still find myself constantly refreshing political sites. Hence, I came across this NY Times article on how the South is becoming rather irrelevant to national politics. In so many words, it actually calls southern whites racists. And through both empirical and anecdotal evidence, I wouldn't disagree with it. Really, maybe we should have just let them leave when they wanted to.

Which brings me to my next point: the passage of Proposition 8 in California, which constitutionally banned the newly-won right to same-sex marriage. I haven't blogged about this mostly because my thoughts are confused. Obviously, I'm horrified that such a liberal state like California (come on, marijuana is practially legal there!) would actually write discrimination into its state constitution. Still, I can't help but feel optimistic that change will come. If you look at the breakdown of the electorate, 18-29 year-olds voted overwhelmingly against Prop 8. The older you go, the more bigoted you get. Time is on our side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I AM A STRAIGHT PERSON WHO READS YOUR BLOG!