Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Breakthrough...I Think

Ah, sorry peeps. I know it's been forever since I wrote last. And since I'm obviously the most intersting person you've ever known, I'm sure, you're all dying to know what I've been up to.


So, a week ago I started working at the great devil known as Wal-Mart as a cashier, and surprisingly, it hasn't been as bad as almost everyone said it would be. I have had very few rude customers. I like to think it's because I'm such a nice person myself, but that's probably the ego talking. But seriously, if the whole "being a diplomat" thing doesn't work out, I may have a future in customer service.

Oh yeah, I guess I forgot to tell you all that I may have finally figured out what I want to do with my life. If this internship in Barcelona doesn't crush my dreams, I think I may want to work for the State Department. I think it may be the only job that pays me to travel all over the world and do politics. So this newfound purpose or direction in my life is really the topic of today's memo; this break has been good for me.

Let me explain. The first couple of months I was home, I wasn't entirely sure I was doing the right thing. I still debated with myself that maybe sticking Harvard out would have been better. Plus I was supposed to be working, that was the deal I made with myself, to not leech of my family. But, the extreme laziness and apathy that totally destroyed last semester was still very much in play. And so the cycle continued.

Until a couple of weeks ago, for some yet unknown reason. My trip to Barcelona is like 97% a sure thing. I'm now a member of the American workforce. (I just got my first paycheck today!) I may have figured out what to make of myself after college. Maybe it's just me, but I think this qualifies as a breakthrough. Now, I just can't get complacent, because I think that's how the cycle starts. I feel entitled to rest on my laurels (going to Harvard, etc.), I get lazy, the consequences of being lazy catch up to me, I get upset at myself, and then I start to not care. So, as my friends, please, don't let me brag too much. Remind me I'm not as perfect as I sometimes think I am.

The good news is that I won't have to take the fall off too, which was always a last resort. I can't wait to see you guys in September (and some of you even sooner, if you're staying in Boston for the summer, maybe.) I miss you so, so much and I wish you could be with me on this journey, but hopefully, I'll return to you a better person.

Besos!

1 comment:

RM said...

Yays for figuring out what you want to do!!!!

My time off helped me, too, to redefine my post-Harvard plans.

Go us for being productive during our break away from school.

And it all sounds terribly exciting! Isaac traveling the world! Tee hee